This is the best margarita recipe ever invented in our humble opinion. It took a lot of lime squeezing, shaker shaking effort to develop this piece of liquid heaven so give it a try and let us know what you think!
So what do we look for in a margarita?
- Good Tequila (that is not over-powered by ingredients)
- Fresh squeezed citrus (we use this Breville Citrus Juicer which does a great job shredding fruit and keeping the pulp out of your drink)
- Low in sugar
- Not frozen (we hate brain freezes!)
It sounds simple, right? Well, it is. Tequila lickin’ simple and Tequila lickin’ good.
What Kind of Tequila?
Well this comes down to personal preference, budget, etc. but if you want a classic margarita and you don’t want the flavors influenced by other factors (like oak) stick with a blanco. There is no better way to make a margarita than with a decent tequila blanco. It doesn’t have to be high end stuff, we personally prefer Espolon.
The Chasing Limes Citrus Margarita
4 ounces tequila blanco
1.5 ounces fresh squeezed lemon/lime
1/2 ounces fresh squeezed orange
1 simple syrup
Shake, pour, sit back and relax.
To make the simple syrup just add one cup of sugar to one cup of water, heat until the sugar dissolves, and let it cool. In our opinion this is better than a low quality, sugary triple sec or even high end Cointreau or Grand Marnier, which can throw off the flavors from the citrus and tequila.
For variations be sure to check out our other recipes and for all you rum drinkers out there be sure to try The Perfect Mojito!
An Easier Lower Calorie Variation to the Best Margarita
This version of the Chasing Limes Citrus Margarita cuts the simple syrup even more to make for a lower sugar “skinny” variation. It relies on more sweetness from fresh squeezed orange to make bring balance to the lemon and lime sour. Since the citrus base all gets squeezed together it’s even easier to make.
- Squeeze 3 limes, 1 lemon, and half an orange into a measuring cup
- In a separate measuring cup add the following:
- 4 ounces of tequila
- 2 1/2 ounces of citrus delight
- 1/2 ounce of simply syrup
- Shake and enjoy (serves 2)